Medical Spa Law
Looking to open your own Medical Spa practice in New York?
We can help you get started.
How to Open a Medical Spa
The Medical Spa industry is on fire – today the industry in the United States is worth over $250 billion, and only projected to grow as more people relax and rejuvenate themselves. Since 2013, more than 16,000 spas have opened each year and employed upwards of 230,000 workers. This growth means a ton of opportunity for entrepreneurs with the right medical background, who want to provide nonsurgical aesthetic procedures for clients. If you’re interested in opening a spa but you’re not sure where to start, here’s a quick guide on the basics and where to begin.
Think of a name for your business. Your name will be your identity in the aesthetic world, and you want it to be recognizable. You’ll want to create a logo as well, and make sure both your name and logo are trademarked. Here at Lengea, we can help you with federal trademarks and filing your legal paperwork with New York State
- Create your business plan, and put your vision into writing. State clearly what you want to accomplish: this will help you determine the type of services you will offer, the facilities you need, the staff you will recruit and the overall brand identity you have. Make your plan specific and include details on how to obtain financing and how your business will generate profit.
- Obtain the necessary licensing you need to operate a medical spa. Each state has different requirements and regulations. Some states do not regulate medical spas at all, while others have extensive inspection and licensing requirements. New York State has strict requirements for medical offices and professionals, and guidelines need to be followed carefully. If you don’t have a practice lawyer helping you review all regulations – reach out to us. We can help!
- Find the medical professionals you need for the services you offer, if you’re not a medical professional yourself. Interview candidates and determine their experience in the aesthetic world, then make your hires. Ensure each staff member understands the spa’s vision and their role in carrying it out.
- Find an office that meets the needs of your spa, and provides the space for the services you’ll offer. In NYC, most of the time you’re struggling to find enough space for your spa without taking out a second mortgage. Find out more about spa office space needs on this page.
- Develop your treatment menu, and work with your staff and your attorney to develop protocols for each service on the treatment menu. The decisions you make on what services you offer will determine the products needed to purchase for you business, and what legal requirements your business will need to meet.
- Purchase the equipment and products necessary for your spa and the services you’ll provide. The needs of each spa vary greatly, and it all depends on what you plan on doing. Wondering what equipment a medical spa should buy? Take a peek here.
- Start networking, advertise your spa, and get ready for opening! Consider holding a grand opening event that coincides with a community event, where you can have a booth, pass out fliers, and offer promotions.
- Get yourself out there on social media. Social media is an important marketing channel that helps you connect with your clients at a personal level. Using social media to engage with your customers has become a way of life for businesses, and most customers expect that as well. Continually post content that is unique and informative to new visitors, and this will attract new clients for you. For most medical spas in New York, the best social media sites are Instagram and Facebook.
- Make sure your booking is live, and you’re officially open! Offering online booking for your Med Spa increases your reach, since customers will find it convenient and you’ll get more business. With a page on your website that lists the available time slots for every service, your customers can pick the one that suits them and book at any time. Then watch the customers come in!
If you’re interested in starting a medical spa, do it soon! The industry is only set to continue seeing exponential growth, and you’ll only miss out the longer you wait and the later you get your foot in the door. We hope this guide helps you get started, and for any questions regarding starting your medical spa – Lengea is here to help!